Return to Headlines

January 5: Important Update on Launch of Hybrid Learning Model

January 5, 2021

 

 

Dear District 65 Community,

 


I hope you enjoyed your winter break and got some much needed rest! As promised, I am providing an update on where things stand regarding the proposed launch of our hybrid learning model on January 19. 

 


I am grateful that our community is standing strong and so many are remaining diligent in following health and safety guidance in an often busy time of year! Despite a slight uptick in recent days, the health metrics our district is considering have remained fairly stable. And yet, we are not meeting these metrics on any front. As such, we are delaying the launch of our hybrid learning model beyond January 19. 

 


As we approach our reopening and continued pandemic response, I truly believe that we share a common goal of improving outcomes and opportunities for students while striving to maintain health and safety for all. We also believe that in-person learning is optimal. We know there are students who are struggling in a remote setting and families who have shared concerns over their child's mental health. For these reasons, we must continue to pursue an in-person return option as soon as health conditions allow.

 

Health metrics and next steps

 

I know there has been some confusion around the health metrics our district is considering to make a determination for reopening. Our health metrics consider local positivity rates along with regional health metrics aligned with the Illinois Department of Public Health. This has included reopening with a Region 10 (suburban cook county) rolling positivity rate of 8% or lower for three consecutive days along with meeting metrics on hospital admissions. In D65 attendance area zip codes, we have looked for a 3% or lower positivity rate. Our understanding is that this local target is no longer advisable by local health officials and is something we must reconsider.

 

I understand that it may feel like the bar has changed over time. And, the truth is that it has. In this climate of global uncertainty, it is preferable to have clarity and predictability where we can for our families and staff. Though we continue to work in conjunction with local public health experts and consult the most up-to-date thinking of state officials, it is unfortunate that, due to the unprecedented nature of this crisis, the level of predictability that we desire is largely inaccessible. 

 

As we all learn more about COVID-19, how it spreads, and how we can help prevent it, public health guidance evolves and institutions, including ours, are doing their best to adapt. In D65, we are committed to using the best, most up-to-date information possible so that we can make informed decisions that align with our values and needs.

 

Convening of formal health advisory and decision on hybrid launch

 

Every day we are pursuing new and better information. We must consider the growing consensus as of late among researchers and the medical community that schools reopening at higher regional positivity rates (greater than 8%) does not have a significant impact on community spread. In addition, preventative measures, such as mask wearing and social distancing, are highly effective. As I have shared from the beginning, we must continue to follow the emerging science. 

 


While we have had public health guidance from individuals along the way, there is value in consulting collective expertise in reviewing the most up-to-date information and research in order to chart our path forward. As such, I am formalizing a diverse advisory group of medical professionals, staff members, and parents to provide additional guidance and take a fresh look at our metrics as well as those that must be considered once in-person learning resumes. 

 


We will use the outcomes from these conversations to share an update with our community on reopening metrics and a subsequent determination on the potential start of our hybrid learning model. An update will be shared on Wednesday, January 20. 

 


I can assure you that we will continue to prioritize the health and safety of our community, for those in remote and in-person learning pathways. If you find your family having expressed need during the continuation of remote learning- mental health, physical or otherwise, please be in touch with your school leaders so that we can connect you with resources and support.

 


More information will be forthcoming soon. Thank you for your patience and continued partnership.

 


With health in mind,

Dr. Devon Horton

Superintendent


5 de enero del 2021 

 

 

Estimada comunidad del Distrito 65,

 

¡Espero que hayan disfrutado de sus vacaciones de invierno y que hayan tenido un necesario descanso! Como lo prometí, estoy proporcionando una actualización sobre cómo están las cosas con respecto al lanzamiento propuesto de nuestro modelo combinado de aprendizaje para el 19 de enero.

 

 

Estoy agradecido de que nuestra comunidad se mantenga firme y de que muchos se mantengan diligentes en seguir las pautas de salud y de seguridad en una época del año a menudo ajetreada. A pesar de un ligero repunte en los últimos días, los parámetros de salud que nuestro distrito está considerando se han mantenido aceptablemente estables. Y, sin embargo, no estamos cumpliendo con estos parámetros en ningún frente. Como tal, estamos retrasando el lanzamiento de nuestro modelo combinado de aprendizaje para después del 19 de enero.

 

 

A medida que nos acercamos a nuestra reapertura y a nuestra respuesta continua a la pandemia, realmente creo que compartimos un objetivo común de mejorar los resultados y las oportunidades para los estudiantes mientras nos esforzamos por mantener la salud y la seguridad para todos.

 

Parámetros de salud y pasos a seguir

 

Sé que ha habido cierta confusión en torno a los parámetros de salud que nuestro distrito está considerando para tomar una determinación para la reapertura. Nuestros parámetros de salud consideran las tasas de positividad locales junto con los parámetros de salud regionales alineados con el Departamento de Salud Pública de Illinois. Esto ha incluido reabrir con una tasa de positividad progresiva de la Región 10 (condado suburbano de Cook) del 8% o menos, durante tres días consecutivos junto con los parámetros de cumplimiento sobre las admisiones hospitalarias. En los códigos postales del área de asistencia del D65, hemos buscado una tasa de positividad del 3% o menos. Tenemos entendido que este objetivo local ya no es recomendable por los funcionarios locales de salud y es algo que debemos reconsiderar.

 

Entiendo que puede parecer que la barra ha cambiado con el tiempo. Y la verdad es que lo ha hecho. En este clima de incertidumbre global, es preferible tener claridad y previsibilidad donde podamos para nuestras familias y para nuestro personal. Aunque continuamos trabajando en conjunto con expertos locales en salud pública y aunque consultamos el pensar más actualizado de los funcionarios estatales, es lamentable que, debido a la naturaleza sin precedentes de esta crisis, el nivel de previsibilidad que deseamos sea en gran parte, inaccesible.

 

A medida que todos aprendemos más sobre COVID-19, cómo se propaga y cómo podemos ayudar a prevenirlo, la guía de salud pública evoluciona y las instituciones, incluida la nuestra, hacen todo lo posible por adaptarse. En el D65, nos comprometemos a utilizar la mejor y más actualizada información posible para que podamos tomar decisiones razonadas que se alineen con nuestros valores y necesidades.

 

Convocación de asesoramiento sanitario formal y decisión sobre lanzamiento combinado

 

Todos los días buscamos información nueva y mejor. Debemos considerar el creciente consenso a últimas fechas entre los investigadores y entre la comunidad médica de que la reapertura de las escuelas con tasas de positividad regional más altas (más del 8%) no tiene un impacto significativo en la propagación del virus en la comunidad. Además, las medidas preventivas, como el uso de cubrebocas y el distanciamiento físico, son altamente eficaces. Como he compartido desde el principio, debemos continuar siguiendo a la ciencia emergente.

 

 

Si bien hemos recibido orientación de salud pública de personas a lo largo del camino, es valioso consultar la experiencia colectiva para revisar la información e investigación más actualizadas para trazar nuestro camino a seguir. Como tal, estoy formalizando un grupo asesor diverso de profesionales médicos, padres y miembros del personal para que revisen los parámetros que estamos utilizando, así como aquellos que deben considerarse una vez que se reanude el aprendizaje presencial (en persona). Este equipo se reunirá de inmediato y trabajará con urgencia durante los próximos 10 días.

 

 

Usaremos los resultados de estas conversaciones para compartir una actualización con nuestra comunidad acerca de los parámetros de reapertura y de una determinación posterior sobre el inicio potencial de nuestro modelo combinado de aprendizaje. Se compartirá una actualización el miércoles 20 de enero.

 

 

Puedo asegurarles que seguimos dando prioridad a la salud y a la seguridad de nuestra comunidad para aquellos en opciones de aprendizaje a distancia y aprendizaje presencial. En caso de que su familia exprese una necesidad durante la continuación del aprendizaje a distancia (remoto), ya sea de salud mental, física o de otro tipo, por favor, comuníquese con los líderes de su escuela para que podamos conectarlo con recursos y apoyo.

 

 

Pronto habrá más información. Gracias por su paciencia y colaboración continua.

 

 

Con la salud en mente,

Dr. Devon Horton

Superintendente