District 65 Medical Advisory
Throughout the 2020-2021 school year, District 65 consulted with public health officials as well as physicians on health metrics and reopening plans. As we continue to plan for the safe reopening of schools for in-person learning, District 65 convened a formal medical advisory group in January to further discuss emerging guidance.
This group is comprised of a diverse team of medical professionals, who represent various disciplines, work both within and outside of our community, and all with first-hand COVID-19 experience. The group also included union leaders representing all five of the district’s bargaining groups, parents, and district administrators. Medical Advisory Considerations were established during the creation of the committee.
Discussion topics included the current COVID-19 landscape both regionally and in Evanston/Skokie, macro and micro health metrics, mitigation measures, and the data and research on school reopenings.
While the decision on the status of in-person learning is the responsibility of the superintendent, this group was formed to provide medical guidance related to the safe reopening.
Collaboration with this group will remain ongoing.
Please see below for a list of the medical professionals on the Medical Advisory Committee.
- Daniel Johnson, MD, Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Chicago Medicine, Section Chief for Academic Pediatrics, Interim Section Chief for Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Vice Chair for Patient Care Services
- Ike Ogbo, Director of Public Health, Evanston Health and Human Services Department
- Martin Rene, MD, Physician of Emergency Medicine for Advocate Aurora Health (District 65 Parent)
- Sharon M. Robinson, MD, Physician Director, Primary Care NorthShore University HealthSystem (District 65 Parent)
- Stephen J. Schrantz, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases, University of Chicago (District 65 Parent)
- Martin Siglin, MD, CPE, FACP, Chief Medical Officer St. Francis Hospital Evanston, System VP of Medical Affairs AMITA Health
- David Soglin, MD, Chief Medical Officer La Rabida Children's Hospital, Member of the Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (ICAAP) School Reopening Task Force, Member of the ICAAP Anti-Racist Task Force
- Bridget Wild, MD, Pediatric Hospitalist, NorthShore University HealthSystem / Child Protection Committee Chair, NorthShore University HealthSystem / Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Pritzker School of Medicine - (District 65 Parent)
Please see below for a list of the current District 65 parents and caregivers on the Medical Advisory Committee.
- Rebecca Langan, MSW Director of External Affairs for Youth Guidance and D65 Parent
- Mireya Morales, District 65 Parent
- Bessie Rhodes Parent
*Several medical professionals and administrators are also current District 65 parents.
District 65 Administration, Board, and Staff
Please see below for a list of the current District 65 administrators, Board Members, and staff members on the Medical Advisory Committee.
- Natalie Copper, EACCP President (Evanston Association of Childcare Professionals)
- Dawn Jackson, ETAA President (Evanston Teacher Assistants Association)
- Meg Krulee, DEC President (District 65 Educators’ Council)
- Dana Smalley, DESC President (District 65 Educational Secretarial and Clerical Association)
- Omar Whyte, ECMA President (Evanston Custodial Maintenance Association)
- Joey Hailpern, D65 Board Member
- Devon Alexander, Director of Equity and Family and Community Engagement
- Dr. Romy DeCristofaro, Assistant Superintendent of Student Services
- Dr. LaTarsha Green, Deputy Superintendent
- Dr. Devon Horton, Superintendent
- Bernice Judd, Director of Health Services
- Dr. Andalib Khelghati, Assistant Superintendent of Elementary Schools
- Dr. Terrance Little, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Schools
- Tania Margonza, Community Engagement Facilitator and Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee (BPAC) President
- Melissa Messinger, Director of Communications
- Raphael Obafemi, Chief Financial and Operations Officer