CREATE Teacher Residency
Are you an aspiring educator looking for an opportunity to take the next steps to becoming a teacher? Do you have a calling to inspire our next generation of leaders and innovators by teaching in a District 65 classroom? CREATE Residency has a pathway for you to turn your aspirations into inspiration for District 65 students.
CREATE IS LOOKING FOR ASPIRING EDUCATORS WHO...
- Have a bachelor’s degree.
- Are ready to commit to a one-year Master’s program (June to June).
- Are interested in specializing in bilingual education or diverse learners.
- Are committed to equity and anti-racist instructional practices.
- Are mid-career professionals who want to transfer their talents and skills to the classroom and give back to their community.
- Are dedicated to the academic growth and development and social emotional well-being of all students.
- Want to be a part of a school community committed to transformational education.
WHEN YOU BECOME A CREATE RESIDENT, YOU WILL…
- Earn a Master’s Degree in Education from Northwestern University or National Louis University and a Professional Educator’s License (PEL) in early childhood, elementary or middle school grades.
- Get hands on-experience in a classroom four-days a week under the guidance of an experienced D65 teacher.
- Receive a $30,000 residency stipend to help with living expenses and opportunities to apply for other grants.
- Graduate with a 4-year contract to become a D65 teacher where the average teacher salary is $84,000 with an average starting salary of $55,000 with a Master's degree.
- Become a member of a CREATE cohort of aspiring teachers and build a network of support with other new educators.
An overview of CREATE Teacher Residency is highlighted in the video below, featuring a cohesive discussion of the program from Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Superintendent, Dr. Devon Horton.
Evanston/Skokie School District 65 has partnered with Northwestern University and National Louis University to form the CREATE Teacher Residency.
CREATE's mission is to prepare aspiring diverse teachers to be exceptional educators who bring a commitment to excellence, social justice and equity to the classroom for the benefit of their students' academic achievement and well-being.
The CREATE Teacher Residency is a sustainable residency that prepares highly effective, diverse long-term teachers for the students of D65 and will provide a replicable, research and experienced-based model for preparing teachers to address achievement gaps in District 65 and the North Cook region.
The mission and vision of the CREATE Teacher Residency is discussed in the following video from District 65 Superintendent, Dr. Devon Horton.
What is a Teacher Residency Program?
An intensive one-year teacher preparation program that puts teacher residents in classrooms with students for four-days a week to learn the craft of instruction under the guidance of an experienced D65 educator, while they are completing their Master’s level coursework at a partnering university. This method of training educators is designed to be intensive and deeply experiential. After completing the residency, educators are ready to teach immediately after they graduate.
The video below features real District 65 educators and leaders who have experienced and successfully completed a teacher residency.
Interested? Reach out today!
To connect with CREATE, please complete the following Interest Form or review frequently asked questions regarding the residency. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply today! For outstanding questions, please feel free to reach out to our CREATE team via CREATEinfo@district65.net.