District 65 inclusion policy
Inclusion embodies the values, policies, and practices that support the right of every student and his/her family, regardless of ability, to participate in a broad range of activities and contexts as full members of families, communities and society. The desired results of inclusive experiences for students with and without disabilities and their families include a sense of belonging and membership, positive social relationships and friendships, and development and learning to reach their full potential.
Guiding Principles for Inclusion
- All students with disabilities have a right to be included in naturally occurring settings and activities with their neighborhood peers, siblings, and friends.
- All students will be given the opportunity for meaningful participation and engagement in the general education curriculum and in their school community.
- Communities of support will be nurtured where differences are acknowledged, understood, accepted and celebrated.
- A spirit of collaboration, active participation and support among families, administration and staff is valued and fostered.
- A continuum of services and supports should reflect intensity of supports and not a separate place.
Click here to view the District 65 Inclusion Plan, including goals and strategies.
Click here to view the District 65 Inclusion Strategic Plan and supporting documents.