Layout Display Table DISCIPLINE GRADES Visual Arts K-8th Grade Media Arts 6-8th Grade General Music K-8th Grade Instrumental Music 4-8th Grade Drama K-8th Grade Dance King Arts Only
All arts courses follow the Illinois Fine Arts Standards which have a shared structure which include a focus on four primary areas:
- Creating – Conceiving and developing new artistic ideas and work.
- Performing (dance, music, theatre) – Realizing artistic ideas and work through interpretation and presentation.
- Presenting (visual arts) – Interpreting and sharing artistic work.
- Producing (media arts) – Realizing and presenting artistic ideas and work.
- Responding – Understanding and evaluating how the arts convey meaning.
- Connecting – Relating artistic ideas and work with personal meaning and external context.
This structure allows students to engage in a design cycle focused on exploration, creation and at points provide the opportunity to get feedback and continue to work on pieces. Departments develop their own curriculum guides that outline the learning experiences within these disciplines.