Student Assignment Project (SAP) Committee
We will propose a comprehensive student assignment plan which may include but is not limited to new school boundaries (decreasing transportation costs), an equitable selection process for magnet schools and programs, and establishing a school in the 5th Ward.
Student Assignment Advisory Committee Call to Action
ALL students should have the right to a local area school (home school), high-quality education, high-quality programs, and high-quality educators that are proximate to their homes and neighborhoods. We must ensure that all families can actively participate in their student’s education without barriers. This should be a promise we guarantee to all students in District 65.
Purpose of the Advisory:
- Serve as a critical partner in assessing proposed revisions to the District 65 student assignment system.
- Serve as an equitable thought partner in assessing our current student assignment procedures and policies.
- Provide impartial recommendations suited to dismantle systemic racism.
- Use data to make informed decisions and recommendations.
- Recommend new school attendance area maps and new student assignment process.
- Recommend and research school programs.
- Determine how to open a 5th ward school in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Recommend new process to assign students to schools.
Non-Purpose of the Advisory:
- To make final decisions regarding the District 65 student assignment system.
- To create new board policies or procedures.
- To determine location of any proposed facilities.
- To direct District 65 to make specific changes, as this is within the purview of the Board of Education.
The SAP, comprised of a diverse team of D65 staff, parents/caregivers, community members and consulting experts, will review District 65’s student assignment system over the next two years using an interactive student assignments tool to develop guiding principles for all of our students and families. Additionally, this team will use data from the master facilities plan and engagement opportunities (community surveys, townhalls, etc) to inform potential recommendations to the School Board. Considerations must assess a number of factors including student enrollment projections, new school boundaries, decreasing transportation costs, building conditions and utilization, and a more equitable selection process for our magnet schools and selective enrollment programs.
SAP Committee Members NAME GROUP/ROLE Sarita Smith Director of Student Assignments Saranda Karpuzi Asst. Manager of Student Assignments Sunith Kartha D65 Parent Scott Mangum D65 Parent Stephanie Mendoza D65 Parent Chantal Diaz Community Partner/Future Parent Karen Smilowitz Community Partner Henry Wilkins Community Partner Tracy Fulce-Gentle Community Partner Jill Calian Community Leader Bobby Burns Alderman Dr. LaTarsha Green Deputy Superintendent Dr. Romy Decristofaro Assistant Superintendent of Student Services Donna Cross Director of Multi-Tiered System of Support and Social Emotional Learning Kirby Callam Project Director, EvanSTEM Angel Turner Director of Literacy Dr. Devon Horton Superintendent Maria Barroso Union - DEC President Michael McDermott Union - DEC VP Jasmine Sebaggala Union - DEC SAP Committee Members NAME GROUP/ROLE Tania Margonza D65 Community Engagement Facilitator Stacy McAuliffe D65 Parent Daryl Gardner D65 Parent Amy Brissette D65 Parent Gil Peña D65 Parent Nichole Pinkard Community Partner Jerome Summers Community Leader Renne Stone Community Leader Teyona James Community Partner Jennifer Simpson-Leigh Community Partner Dr. Stacy Beardsley Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction Ajoni Hopkins Project Specialist Kimberly Kelly Director of CREATE 65 Laketa Simpson Director of Human Resources David Wartowski Director of STEM Anya Tanyavutti D65 Board/Parent/ABC Marquise Weatherspoon D65 Board/Parent Omar Whyte Union - ECMA Sonja Moulton Union - EACCP David Benson Union - DESC
February 17, 2022
February 3, 2022
January 15, 2022
SAP Data Day
December 2, 2021
November 4, 2021
October 21, 2021
October 7, 2021
September 23, 2021
September 2, 2021
August 12, 2021
Compression Planning Minutes
July 15, 2021
June 17, 2021
May 20, 2021
May 6, 2021