McGaw YMCA Summer Learning Program
The McGaw YMCA Summer Learning program, in partnership with District 65, is a six-week summer learning experience provided at no cost to students selected by their schools. This program is designed to help advance students’ academic achievement and social-emotional skills through a full-day summer experience that combines small group, rigorous literacy and math instruction, with hands-on enrichment activities including; STEM, physical activity, art and field trips.
We believe students need equal access to necessary resources they need to realize their potential. With the support of our community, this summer experience will help your child be successful at school and beyond!
Breakfast, lunch, and snack are provided daily.
- 8:30am-9am – Drop-off and Breakfast
- 9am-12pm – Academic Time (Literacy and Math)
- 12pm-12:30pm – Lunch
- 12:30pm-1pm – Recess
- 1pm-3:30pm – Enrichment Activities
- 3:30pm-4pm – Snack and Reflection
- 4pm-4:30pm – Centers and Pick-up
Youth who participate in this program across the nation gain an average of 2 months in reading skills and 3 months in math skills over the course of the summer.
A survey of parents from last year’s program reported:
- 97% of parents would recommend the Summer Learning program to other parents.
- 92% of parents who completed a post-program survey agree that this program helped improve their child’s reading skills.
- 91% of parent survey responders agree that their child has improved his or her self- confidence.
This program is offered at no cost to you. You must commit to the following items in order to participate:
- Students are required to attend the program every day. They may not miss more than 2 days throughout the course of the six-week program. If your child must miss more than 2 days, he/she is not permitted to participate.
- Parents/caregivers must agree to read with their child for at least 30 minutes each night
- Parents/caregivers must attend the Parent Information Night during the first week of the program.
- Parents/caregivers must be have open communication with their child’s teacher and program leadership.
- Parents/caregivers and students are required to agree to all McGaw YMCA policies including those related to: Health and Wellness, COVID Safety and Code of Conduct.
details DATES: June 20-July 28, 2023 DAY(S): Monday-Friday TIME(S): 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. GRADES: K-4th LOCATION(S): Oakton Elementary, Washington Elementary, Kingsley Elementary