Curriculum AND ACADEMIC SUPPORT PROGRAMS
Rice Education Center has professionally trained educators that specify in using research based learning strategies to promote academic growth. All academic subjects are taught at Rice School. Specific Mathematics and Language Arts intervention programs are used at Rice to meet students where they are at, set goals, and ensure optimal learning.
READING / WRITING
Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) https://www.fountasandpinnell.com/lli
The Fountas & Pinnell LLI System (LLI) is an intensive, small-group, supplementary literacy intervention for students who find reading and writing difficult. The goal of LLI is to lift the literacy achievement of students who are not achieving grade-level expectations in reading. The LLI systems are designed to:
- Advance the literacy learning of students not meeting grade-level expectations in reading
- Deepen and expand comprehension with close reading
- Elevate the expertise of teachers
- Increase reading volume by engaging students in large amounts of successful daily reading
- Increase student engagement with books that build knowledge
- Intervene with small groups of struggling readers to maximize growth
- Meet the needs of struggling readers
- Monitor student progress
Benchmark Assessment System (BAS)
- The BAS is used to diagnose areas of strength and weakness in reading, and measures a child’s reading rate (in words per minute), accuracy in reading text, and ability to respond to the text through comprehension discussions. In addition to other available data (such as MAP assessments and observation of classroom reading behaviors), the BAS helps the teacher determine each child’s instructional level to begin LLI. Teachers use ongoing progress monitoring through reading records to inform instruction.
Words Their Way (WTW)
- Students start with a basic spelling inventory assessment to determine their knowledge and use of developmental spelling patterns, then they are grouped for instruction at their ability level. The WTW word study program allows students to experience success in developmental spelling and can also accelerate their reading ability through knowledge of phonics and exposure to new vocabulary.
- Number Worlds is a intervention mathematics curriculum designed for Pre-K through Grade 8 skill levels. Number Worlds is specifically designed for elementary and middle school students that are not functioning at grade level. Number worlds is a highly-engaging, research-proven, teacher-led math intervention program that was built on rigorous state standards and designed to bring math-challenged students up to grade level. Number Worlds can be taught in whole group, small group, and independently. Number Worlds curriculum incorporates real world applications. Number Worlds is accessed through text and digitally.