Support for Transgender & Gender Expansive Students
The District has adopted procedures for student gender support related to Board Policy 7:10 - Equal Educational Opportunities. In furthering our commitment to fostering a learning environment open to all students, free of any sort of discrimination or harassment, District 65 has adopted a set of procedures to promote inclusive learning environments for its transgender and gender expansive students.
Gender Support Administrative Procedures (updated February 2020)
Procedures include the development of an individualized Gender Support Plan for students upon request. The Gender Support Plan will address the student's needs concerning:
Access to restrooms and other gender-segregated spaces
- Transgender and gender expansive students shall have access to gendered facilities and programs that are consistent with their gender identity.
Names, pronouns, and gender markers
- Students shall be referred to by a name and pronouns that correspond to their gender identity by all school staff and students.
- Court-ordered or medical/psychological documentation is not required to change a student’s name or gender marker with the District.
- Student’s transgender identity will only be disclosed to those authorized by the student or their parent(s)/guardian(s).
- In some cases, transgender students may feel more supported if other students are aware that they are transgender. The District will work closely with the student and their family to plan how to educate peers.
Other aspects that may arise such as school trips, health education, etc.
Please see the links on the left-hand side of this page for additional information and resouces.