The Green Team is striving to incorporate environmental sustainability into the Willard culture through awareness in every day actions. We invite all community members to join in our efforts and are happy to work with as much or as little time as your schedule allows. To become involved, please email Co-Chairs Marie A. Cabiya (email@example.com) or Beth Flintoft (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Willard has been recognized as a Gold Partner in the We Compost program:
We Compost is a free recognition program that promotes businesses and institutions that participate in a compost program
Click below to learn about the ten steps to achieving a zero waste event:
Click below to learn about the OWL OASIS to be used at PTA sponsored events:
Click on the following link to learn more about D65's Green Team initiatives and accomplishments:
Click on the links below to learn more about the Willard Green Team initiatives:
- 101 Ways to Live Sustainably: the least you can do is make a big difference where you live.
- Did you know District 65 has a no idling policy?
- That 10 seconds of idling wastes more fuel than restarting? Air monitoring at schools typically finds elevated levels of toxins during pick-up times. The source — exhaust from idling vehicles — is linked to increases in asthma, allergies, heart and lung disease and even cancer. Children are especially at risk because their lungs are still developing and they inhale more air per pound of body weight. Learn more here and take the pledge to Turn It Off!
- Willard recycles used crayons and old markers! Send them in with your child or look for the collection bins in the front office. More than a half-million pounds of crayons are discarded every year, turning into a waxy sludge that clogs our landfills. The Green Team will donate the crayons to Evanston's new Art Makers Outpost. Markers can be any brand and include dry erase markers and highlighters. They will be sent to Crayola for recycling.
- And don't throw out old makeup cases either! You can recycle old lip balm tubes, eye shadow cases, lipsticks and much more via the Terracycle Personal Care & Beauty Recycling Program. Collection bin is in the front foyer. Click here to read all the items you can recycle instead of sending to landfill! **Please note: remove as much product as possible; all containers must be clean and dry.**