District 65 Tax Levy Information
Top 5 Facts About the Evanston/Skokie School District 65 Tax Levy
- Property taxes make up 75% of Operating Fund revenues.
- Property taxes are District 65’s most stable form of revenue.
- D65 property taxes help to fund salaries, benefits, purchased services, supplies, capital outlay, and capital projects including technology.
- Property taxes to fund District 65 are limited by tax caps known as the Property Tax Extension Limitation Law or PTELL. Growth is limited to the Consumer Price Index (CPI) or 5%, whichever is lower; plus an additional amount for new property.
- The five-year average CPI factor is 1.54%. Individual property tax bills may increase more than the CPI due to many factors, including new property, additional exemptions (homeowner, senior, disabled veteran, etc), successful referenda, increases from other taxing bodies, increasing bond and interest payments, and successful tax appeals.