About EvanSTEMEvanSTEM seeks to improve access and engagement for students who have traditionally underperformed or have been underrepresented in STEM programs.EvanSTEM Goals
- NETWORK: Aligned K-12 STEM pathways across schools, out-of-school programs, and districts
- YOUTH: Improved STEM access and engagement for Evanston students who are underperforming or underrepresented in STEM programs
- EDUCATORS: Increased professional capacity of STEM educators
- Cross-Cutting Professional Development
- Development and Piloting of STEM Learning Experiences
... in order to ...
- Understand how youth (particularly underrepresented and underperforming students) navigate through available STEM opportunities and how those STEM programs impact academic outcomes.
- Coordinate and align STEM pathways across schools, out-of-school programs and districts.
- Build new collaborations between teachers, out‐of‐school educators and STEM professionals, resulting in novel curricula, activities and expanded programs.
- Expand the capacity of STEM providers and educators—within and across school and out‐of‐school settings—to increase targeted youth interest, engagement, and identity with STEM.
- 2018-19 EvanSTEM Ecosystem of Targeted Programs (TABLE)
- The EvanSTEM Ecosystem Matching Map
Targeted City-wide Events
- Educator Professional Development
- STEM Project (re)Design Workshops
- EvanSTEM Mini-maker Conference
- EvanSTEM & District 65 Tech Innovation Educator Fair
- Student Leadership
- STEM Squad
EvanSTEM OutcomesA living ecosystem of STEM providers in Evanston creating new STEM programs, experiences, curricula and PD modules, resulting in:
- Saturday is STEM Day in Evanston
- STEAM Saturdays (KDG-1st grade)
- Digital Divas (4th-5th Grade)
- Quest4Earth (5th Grade)
- MetaMakes (6th Grade)
- Saturday Engineering Challenge (6th-8th Grade)
- Increased participation and dosage rates of targeted youth
- Increased use of math, science and engineering practices to problem solve across settings
- Evidence of sequential, cross-setting pathways navigated by youth
- Increased teacher/educator effectiveness within and across settings
- Improved educators attitudes re: integrated, cross-setting STEM approaches
- Increased family involvement, support and understanding of STEM progression & career opportunities.
- Plans to disseminate lessons and scale and sustain the EvanSTEM model